Call Today for a Free Consultation


Indiana License Defense Attorney for Psychologists and Social Workers

Indiana psychology board defense attorney

Professional License Discipline Lawyer for Counselors, Therapists, and Other Mental Health Professionals

Mental health is a concern for many people, and there are multiple types of professionals who provide services to help address these issues. These professions are closely regulated by the Indiana Professional Licensing Agency (PLA), and there are a variety of situations where they may face discipline that may affect their licenses and their ability to continue providing services for those who need them. If you are a psychologist, social worker, family therapist, mental health counselor, or another type of behavioral health provider who is facing disciplinary action, you will want to determine your options for protecting your license.

The Law Offices of Joseph J. Bogdan, Inc. offers legal help to professionals who are being investigated based on complaints or other alleged violations. We provide representation in disciplinary hearings, and we work to make sure our clients are treated fairly and help them determine how to resolve these issues with minimal impact on their careers. We believe in helping professionals avoid public discipline whenever possible, and we will advocate for solutions that will allow providers to maintain their licenses, perform any forms of remediation that may be required, and preserve their personal and professional reputations.

Licensing Issues for Psychologists

The practice of psychology is governed by the Indiana State Psychology Board. Psychologists are required to obtain a doctoral degree (Psy.D. or Ph.D.), and they must pass the Examination for Professional Practice in Psychology (EPPP) and a law exam that covers the state statutes and administrative rules that apply to the practice of psychology. Psychologists may diagnose and treat mental and behavioral disorders, administer tests to gain information about patients' intellectual abilities, skills, personalities, emotions, and other factors, and provide counseling and psychotherapy in individual or group settings.

The Board may investigate licensed psychologists based on claims that they have failed to provide adequate care to patients or that they have provided certain types of services that exceed the limits of their knowledge, education, and experience. Disciplinary action may be taken if a person has engaged in illegal or unethical behavior, such as inappropriate relationships with patients. Certain types of criminal convictions may also be grounds for discipline, including when they affect a person's ability to provide psychological treatment or otherwise have an impact on public health and safety.

License Discipline for Social Workers and Other Mental Health Providers

Aside from psychologists, there are multiple other types of mental health professionals that provide counseling or other services. These professionals are regulated by the Indiana Behavioral Health and Human Services Licensing Board, and they include:

  • Social workers - A Licensed Social Worker (LSW) must have a Master of Social Work degree. In addition to a master's degree, a Clinical Social Worker (LCSW) must have two years of post-degree experience and meet the requirements for supervision. Bachelor Social Worker (LBSW) licenses are available for those who have obtained a Bachelor of Social Work degree.
  • Marriage and family therapists - A person who has a master's degree in marriage and family therapy and who has obtained a certain amount of post-degree experience may be licensed as a Marriage and Family Therapist (LMFT). Those who have not received post-degree experience may be licensed as a Marriage and Family Therapist Associate (LMFTA).
  • Mental health counselors - A person who has a master's degree in counseling and who has post-degree experience and meets the requirements for supervision may be licensed as a Mental Health Counselor (LMHC). Counselors who have not met the requirements for experience and supervision may be licensed as a Mental Health Counselor Associate (LMHCA).
  • Addiction counselors - A person with a bachelor's degree in education focused on addiction and has the necessary post-degree experience and supervision may be licensed as an Addiction Counselor (LAC). Those who have not received sufficient experience may be licensed as an Addiction Counselor Associate (LACA). A person with a master's degree in this field may be licensed as a Clinical Addiction Counselor (LCAC) if they have the required experience and supervision. Those with a master's degree who have not met the experience requirements may be licensed as a Clinical Addiction Counselor Associate (LCACA).

Contact Our Indiana Mental Health Professional License Defense Lawyer

If you are facing a possible suspension or revocation of your license or other forms of disciplinary action, you will need an experienced attorney on your side to help you determine how to proceed. Our firm can advise you of your options and provide you with strong representation in disciplinary proceedings. We will fight to ensure that you will be able to continue providing mental health services to people who need them. Contact us and set up a free consultation today by calling 463-219-2612.

American Pharmacists Association Better Business Bureau elite lawyer SuperLawyer avvo
Back to Top